rule of thumb for settlement amount?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laney71767

The insurance company is getting ready to close my case. I had shoulder surgery last May. My doctor released me but said I may need further surgery to remove a bone. Insurance sent me to a QME so they could get a report and rating from him. QME also said I may need future surgery.
Question: Is there a rule of thumb to go by as far as settleing for future surgery cost? Like a percentage of what surgery would cost?? I would appreciate any helpful advise.

You have to explain what 'close my case' means.

In some cases it could mean that there is no further controversy but should new issues arise, i.e. future claims for lost time or medical care, the case could be re-opened. Or it could mean the case is closed forever once you agree to a settlement, in which case you can never re-open your case no matter what. In NY, some settlements which close cases forever do have language which allow for all or some future medical expenses to be covered by the insurance company even if no more money will be paid for lost time.

Only a lawyer who specializes in workers comp law in your state and knows the specific facts of your injury (site of injury, degree of disability, wage rates, etc) could answer your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back