How can I get my money back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner

A year ago, a person who I used work with called my cell and asked me if I could lend him $1100. I had never lent anybody money ever so I said NO first, but reason he asked me was that his son had cancer and his insurance didn't cover his the treatment. He needed to get his son a shot everyday which costs few hundred dollars. I felt so badly for him. I decided to lend him cash. He wrote me a note that said he owes me $1100 and give it back to you in a week. A week later, he gave me the money back. I threw the note away. He called me again few days later and asked me if I can borrow that money again. He said that he can give it back in 3 days. I still had that money in my wallet so I lent him that without a note this time. He made excused and didn't give me the money for few months.
One day I met him and told him to pay me back. He wrote me a check for $1100, but he asked me please wait for while to cash that money. It didn't make sense, did it? but anyway, few months later, he gave me only $100 cash. That was 7 months ago. He quit a job few months ago where I used to work at with him . When I talked to him, he said that he will stop by my house to pay all. He didn't show up and since then, I can't get hold of him. I still have his cell phone number, but I don't know where he lives and where he works anymore. I contacted his wife once recently. His wife filed for a divorce last March and doesn't know where he lives right now. I went to branch office of his bank before and tried to cash his check, but that account was already closed. I still have his signed check with me though. He doesn't pick up his cell phone anymore. He keeps ignoring. His wife said that he is probably lives in Michigan where I live. He used live in Ohio. I don't know how I can find him and how I can get that money back. I guess if I don't know where he is, I don't claim for small court and I don't know if his sighed check for $1100 is valid for anything. Please help me.

You have a valid claim against him, but to sue him, you have to find out where he is. That is exactly the problem.

But, if his wife is trying to divorce him, she has the same problem, she needs to get hold of him. So may be you keep contact to her so you can find out.

I actually called his wife this morning. She still doesn't know exactly where he lives at this point. I will keep contacting her until I get some information about him.
If I find him, what can I do to get my money back? Are you saying that his signed check is a valid source to make a claim? ( I don't know how I can do it...)

Gardner said:
I actually called his wife this morning. She still doesn't know exactly where he lives at this point. I will keep contacting her until I get some information about him.
If I find him, what can I do to get my money back? Are you saying that his signed check is a valid source to make a claim? ( I don't know how I can do it...)

If there is a signed check it is an indication or an item of proof that a transaction occurred and that payment should have been forthcoming. At this point it's all about credibility when the transaction is oral. Whom will the judge believe? Having some proof in hand is better than having none. You can sue even without proof but it will be far more difficult to win your case based upon credibility alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back