Property Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duggie1827

My family owns property that is surrounded by another land owners property. The property map that I have shows an old township road that leads to my property. The other land owner is real strict about people on his property and pays people to patrol it. My question is "Is the other land owner aloud to land lock my property and not give me access through his". I was told that the township alley was no longer maintained by the township and that gave the land owner rights to control access on the road. Also every time I do access my land, I get harassed by the guys who patrol it like they assumed ownership of it because no one in my family used the land for a while. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

It's not a question of whether he's allowed to landlock your property; it's a question of whether it just happens, by operation of law. I suspect that it has NOT happened - that the township alley, although no longer maintained, is still registered against his land. He does not have the right to control access on it, and your land can be accessed in that way. You should check with a local real estate lawyer to make sure.

Is there no other right of way or other easement registered against his property?

Where are you being harassed by his patrols? If on your property, post it, sign it, and tell them to stay off.

Well the property is completely undeveloped and is used for hunting. So one summer I took my gps and figured out rough boarders but never found a pin to mark. So really no one is sure about where who's property begins and where it ends. I am in the middle of going clean and green with the property and hopefully when that goes through they will survey it. So I can't post the property until the surveying is done.

OK, but you can probably roughly agree on where your property is. Advise the other owner that you'll be there and he should instruct his patrols accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back