Permanent Residency Green card through Marriage or Employment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green

I've been in the USA for 3yrs now on an E2 Visa. My work has agreed to sponsor me for a Green card and I am about to go through labor certification. I have 2 yrs left on my visa. My question relates to what is a more flexible or quicker Green card application. I know that it could take up to 6 mths (my atorney tells me) to get labor certification completed, followed by about a 2 1/2 yr processing time for the green card. (Filed in CA, I'm in LA currently) So I'm looking at 3 yrs. It's likely that I will end up marrying a US citizen (although not guaranteed) as I am seeing an America Guy at the moment and things are going well. Should I wait and apply through marriage at some point? Or do you think it more prudent and robust to aply through work? My questions really are:

1. How long would a Green card through marriage take?
2. Are there the same restrictions for the LPR for leaving the US for a period or time when you are married vs through empployement (eg, I wanted to go back to the UK to look after older parents, take a good job there for a coupld of yrs...)
3. If I applied through employment, could I reaadjust my applciation if I was to get married or would it not be worth it?
4. To become a citizen, if I got a green card through work and got marrried in the meantime, would it be 3yrs to become a citizen, or would I still ahve to have 5yrs as my card would be through work?

I don't know what to do right now as I'm looking at possibly 8yrs (3 for Green card, 5 for citizenship) until I can go back to the UK for any length of time. I'm worried about losing LPR status should I wnat to do this at any satge in the next 8yrs. My intention is to eventually reside and settle in the US.

Please help if you can. My company is asking me to sign an engagement letter for the Attorneys and I need to make a decision.

Thanks,

:D

(my atorney tells me) to get labor certification completed, followed by about a 2 1/2 yr processing time for the green card.

Why has your attorney not answered your questions?

Just a few ?'s

Hello ok so im not sure whree i should write this but im going to do it here and hope someone can help me ok so for 3 years now i have been dateing a guy from the states i my self am from canada, we are one day going to get married the thing we have come to is can we get married in the states in a church with out me having my dual?
second is i heard that even do get to be american it is very costly is it true?
third we can always do it another way and that is my grandmother is american and lives in canada she has been for a long time and my dad can get his dual so that i can get mine which way would be easier to go and which is less money.
we do want to live in america and work here i just need help as to where do i start because i keep hitting dead ends please help me with anything you can thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back