Corporation banking

Status
Not open for further replies.

teedoubleu

I am a bookkeeper and my employer has asked me to sign checks for the corporation that employs me. It is a small closely-held corporation. Times are tough so it is possible that a check could bounce. I have been told that I could be personally liable if I signed the bounced check, even though I have no ownership in the company. Is this true?

Hi teedoubleu,

I'm a new member here, and I am not a lawyer. I'm a senior undergraduate looking to go to Law School so please take any information I give with a grain of salt. After doing some research I found some information for you.

Revised Article 3 of the Uniform Commercial Code provides the person with authority to sign checks for a corporation the ability to no longer declare his or her representative capacity on the check. Meaning that the person such as a controller or other representative no longer is personally liable over a NSF check. While this may be true, not all jurisdictions have adopted the Revised Article 3.

I do not claim this information to be accurate and urge you to wait for someone else with more knowledge to answer, or continue to do you own research.

Have a great day,

Jeff

Last edited:
The NSF responsibility is going to fall under the company, however, if you have any ownership on the company, then yes, they can come after you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back