Photographer is threatening me. Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

babe

My jurisdiction is: Georgia, USA

My daughter had pictures taken at a photoshoot that was included in a modeling school package purchased. The photos came back with red tints on the outfit. I didn't like the pictures. The photographer pressured me in front of my daughter to order. I said that I would if he could show me new proofs that had no red splotches. I called the modeling school the next day and said that I didn't want the pics but felt pressured in front of my daughter.

Months passed before I started getting calls and emails from the photographers assistant. I told her I'd pay for the pictures if they could show me proofs with no red splotches. Nothing came, time passed and I started getting emails from the photographer requesting payment via paypal. I ignored because I never received any proofs or pictures. How were they billing me?

Now the photographer is threatening reporting me to the credit bureau and suing me. He's being very nasty. I explained my prior willingness if I could see good proofs. His emails became more threatening and flippant. And my suggesting that he send me a proofs (with watermarks is ok), he said,

"Also, when I send the images to you, and you do not pay for them within three weeks, I will report you the Feds for violation of the Federal Copyright Act.
Once I do this, they will fine you up to $1400 per image. You CD will contain 135 images.
Thank you for requesting that. And once I turn you in, there is no retracting. They will fine you regardless, and there is really no appeal"

That bothers me most of all. It feels like extortion. I didn't ask for an entire collection and told him that much. I asked him to quit contacting me via email because he is now harrassing me. His response was offensive and flippant.

I want to refuse the package just because he's being a horse's tail but, I actually wouldn't mind paying for pictures of my daughter if they're decent. I just feel so jacked. What should I do? What can I do?

I have too much going on to have to worry about this sort of person. I feel totally helpless.

What does your contract say about the quality of the pictures? If it doesn't explicitly call for professional quality, such a term might be implied because this is a modelling contract. If he can't produce professional pictures, kindly tell him you will not pay for substandard pictures, don't accept his pictures, don't pay for them. He can offer to come to some kind of settlement, and failing that, he can try to convince a judge in court why you should pay for pictures that aren't up to snuff. Whether he will succeed, or even try, is anybody's guess.

The copyright thing is an empty threat, as long as you don't accept the pictures without paying for them. (I suspect it's empty even if you DO, but what do I know.)

And you can order new photos of your daughter from a different photographer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back