Landlord will not provide copy of signed lease in case he gets an offer on house

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruthpalmnc

I have lease a home in NC for a llittle over two years. My landlord has been trying to sell the property for the last six months. He received an offer two months ago (September) so we made plans to move into another home. when the sale fell through he begged us to stay offering to pay any costs (application fees/binder) that we would lose as a result of staying in our current situation. We agreed to stay if he would extend a lease of 6 months. He agreed. He called us a couple of days later to say that he had a contract with the real estate firm that runs though the end of October and that as of November 1st he would definately give us the six month lease if the property wasn't sold.

November 3rd I received a unsigned copy of the lease via email. I signed and returned. I have asked my landlord for a copy with his signature but he said he can't give it to me yet. Apparently someone that looked at the house on October 30th wants to come see it this weekend for the second time. He will give me a copy now only if they decide not to buy it. I sent him an email asking why because he had given me a lease. His only answer is that I should understand how deperate he is to sell.

Is this legal?

You can tell the landlord that the new owner may have a difficult time moving you out if you can't come to a firm agreement. Let them try to evict you. The contract is for less than one year. You signed a lease and the landlord didn't give back your copy. You've paid your rent. Probably your best bet is to settle and find a new place to live since you're going to have to move anyways. You've got leverage since he wants to sell the home and the buyer will not be happy if you're still in the home at closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back