Disabled and Abandoned

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyfool

I am currently disabled and awaiting a hearing for SSD, my husband of 20 years decided he was unhappy and has left me with no income, most of the bills and the kids. His lawyer sent me a separation agreement which states that he keeps the Jeep registered in his name and I keep the van that is registered in my name and that we take over the payments for said vehicles. The van has a higher payment and the higher debt; and it has not been maintained mechanically for a long time as I had not been driving for years. The Jeep has been maintained and is in much better condition. I want to know if I am entitled to the Jeep even though he has been the one driving it since it was purchased.

I am currently disabled and awaiting a hearing for SSD, my husband of 20 years decided he was unhappy and has left me with no income, most of the bills and the kids. His lawyer sent me a separation agreement which states that he keeps the Jeep registered in his name and I keep the van that is registered in my name and that we take over the payments for said vehicles. The van has a higher payment and the higher debt; and it has not been maintained mechanically for a long time as I had not been driving for years. The Jeep has been maintained and is in much better condition. I want to know if I am entitled to the Jeep even though he has been the one driving it since it was purchased.

You have 2 threads on the same topic.
http://www.thelaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28872
My jurisdiction is: New York

What happens if I do not want a Legal Separation or a Divorce,can my husband force me to give him one? If so, what rights do I have? Do I have to pay for legal fees if the whole situation is his wishes not mine?

You need to retain an attorney to act on your behalf. Yes, your husband can get a divorce even if you don't want one. You can request that he pay your legal fees.

Do not sign any agreement from his lawyer until you have your own lawyer to advise you. You do not have to agree to taking over payments for the van until a judge orders you to do so. Likewise, he is not entitled to keep the Jeep until ordered by a judge.

You also need a lawyer to file for emergency support if your husband is not helping to support the household.

After 20 years, you will probably be entitled to some alimony/maintenance. If your children are minors, then you will also be awarded child support if you have custody.

You really have to retain an attorney ASAP.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back