Last name change

Status
Not open for further replies.

janice_bohan

Hello, I am just wondering how to change my daughters name. My husband is on the birth cert. but we were not married at the time and my daughter has my maidan name. If you could guide me in the right direction I would be greatful. Janice

Just ask the clerk's office at your local courthouse for the forms. You'll pay the fee, both parents will sign, you'll have a brief appearance in front of a judge where you'll explain the reason and voila.

thank you

I actually downloaded the forms online. It says that a notary has to sign. Could I just fill out most of the info then wait to sign in front of the clerk? Thank you again for getting back so quickly. Janice

No, probably not, unless the clerks office advertizes notary service. Your local bank probably offers notary service for a minimal fee. You and your husband don't have to sign with the notary at the same time, but it would probably save a few bucks if you did.

amend birth certificate

Thank you again for your help. I was wondering if I could amend the birth certificate and get her last name changed. Then get the name SS card? Is that possible? Or would I have to go though the court? Janice

I believe you send the name change document to the county for a birth certificate change then take the birth certificate to social security for a SS card name change. A call to those entities will answer your questions better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back