Burglary, Arson, Home Invasion Telling someone you're a cop in the telephone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksz4486

Is it illegal to tell someone on the telephone you're a cop or detective to get information about a burglary?

Is it illegal to tell someone on the telephone you're a cop or detective to get information about a burglary?
It could be ... it depends on state law.

What state are you in and what happened?

- Carl

Cop, yes. I doubt it's legal anywhere in the USA.

Detective? Saying Police Detective yes, Private Investigator no.

Raskalnikov, we really need to know the state. Not every state defines impersonating a police officer to be through verbal means alone, some may require there to be some physical form of identification as well.

- Carl

Really? I'm surprised. That's just one of those things people seem to inherently know is illegal around the time of Elementary School.

I'm sorry if I'm wrong. I'm interested to see what States would allow such a thing.

As we know, "wrong" doesn't mean "illegal".

Issue of intent may have to be established (otherwise dressing in a police costume could be a crime), actions, the need for any indicia or just verbal, etc. Hence the importance we know the state.

For instance, in CA it requires the display of something to induce this belief for the crime of impersonating a peace officer to be complete.

538d. (a) Any person other than one who by law is given the
authority of a peace officer, who willfully wears, exhibits, or uses
the authorized uniform, insignia, emblem, device, label, certificate,
card, or writing, of a peace officer, with the intent of
fraudulently impersonating a peace officer, or of fraudulently
inducing the belief that he or she is a peace officer, is guilty of a
misdemeanor.
And if done simply to obtain info on a crime may not be a crime at all under this circumstance. There are some ways that it COULD be a crime here, but it depends on what was obtained and why.

- Carl

If you are not one then yes, highly illegal to impursonate any law enforcement.
It is not necessarily "highly illegal" to impersonate an officer on the phone in order to obtain information about a crime or report. It depends on the details and the laws of the state where it occurred. In my state, this would very likely NOT be a crime ... but, it depends on the information obtained and how.

- Carl

Ok, maybe not highly illegal, but if was found out that you trying to "show" an authority above your own, yeah its "wrong", being arrested for it is highly unlikely. Just be careful how you use it. If you use it to gain personal info about someone for wrongful reasons, then hell yeah, illegal. I use to live in a bad apartment complex and used to "patrol" the parking lot with a "badge" and gun in a holster. That would gotten me arrested. You'll be fine if you stick to talking like one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back