Roommate ignoring eviction, phone calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

nisop123

While my company had me working a "long term" project in South Carolina (approx. 4 months), I decided to take on a short-tem lease on an apartment. I responded to a craigslist posting for a open roommate spot in a nice apartment in a nice complex. Perfect. Well little did I know, the girl I would be living with ended up being a horror. When the project ended and I was again sent out of state at the end of Sept., I told my roommate that I would move my stuff out, but continue to pay my share of the rent until the end of our lease in mid-November, as I had regularly paid on time since I moved in.
Last week, I received a call from the apartment complex informing me that an eviction notice had been issued on our apartment because my roommate had not paid her share of the rent plus half the water and her pet deposit, totalling $500, and eviction would only be erased if this amount was paid by the end of the 30 day period of the notice. Both myself and the apartment complex have been tring to call my roommate for 2 weeks, and always getting her voicemail followed by no return calls.
Now I don't want to have an eviction notice on my record (I am a young professional who is seeking to return to graduate school in the near future), but since I have paid my half of everything, and this whole thing is only over October and November, should I just front the rest of the money for October's rent (and then also the prorated November rent) and then take her to small claims court, or just let this blow over because I have been in constant contact with the apartment complex and they are fully aware that I am also unsuccessful at reaching her and trying my best?
Now I would really like some advice from someone with a legal mind on if this really would be a good idea to go through with or if I should proceed this differently. Please anyone let my know ASAP if you have any advice for me. Thanks

To begin, there won't be an "eviction notice" on your record. Don't worry just yet. Did you sublet the apartment from her? From someone else? Did you rent the apartment directly from the landlord? Look at your lease. This is the first step. At this point, if you're leaving the apartment anyways at end of month, it's possible that you can pay out your share and not be liable for anything else. if it were me I'd be moving my stuff out immediately as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back