Worried my child's father & his mother might kidnap my daughter-help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemoon516

I am an unmarried mother in Ohio. My boyfriend and I recently split and I know by law I have sole custody of my child unless he tries to take me to court for further rights. Because my boyfriend has fallen asleep while watching our child, drinks and does drugs, and a number of other negative factors, I allow him to see our daughter in my home under my supervision at this time. He keeps pushing the issue of taking her out for a few hours-primarily to see his mother, who has a wild history of child neglect, drinking and drug abuse, and whom I do not trust at all. My primary concern is not only for my child's safety, but I have a terrible gut feeling that if I "cave in" and allow him to bring my daughter out and especially to his mother's, his mother or him will run off somewhere and basically "kidnap" her. What should I do? Should I continue to only allow him to see her supervised unless he tries to take me to court, or should I/can I get a restraining order against him? I'm completely lost on this and he continues to press the issue of taking our child out. I've told him no, he can see his daughter in my home, so I'm not keeping her from him persay in any fashion. He's very manipulative though and last I told him she couldn't go to his mother's, he told me it wasn't my decision. I told him it was(bc I know it is legally), and told him I wasn't going to discuss it further. he just keeps pushing and pushing though...please, if anyone has some advice or would like further information, let me know!
-Worried Mommy in Ohio :confused:

Is there a court order of visitation? If so what rights does Dad have to visits etc? Is Dad on BC? Lets start there as there is more to consider here depending on answers

Right now there's no court order or anything. We split up very recently and were never married. What's BC? Right now I told him he's free to visit our daughter whenever he'd like. All he has to do is call and so long as I'm home(and I usually always am if I'm not at school), he's welcome to come over and stay as long as he'd like to see her. I just don't want him taking her off anywhere, and given his history of being irresponsible while caring for her in the past, I feel I have a valid reason to want him to visit with her in my home and supervision. I've even said we can plan to go to the park all together sometime to play and such, so again-I'm not keeping our daughter from him. He's getting to see her and spend time with her as often as he likes. I don't know if this clarified anything more, just let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know though...

BC = Birth Certificate. In other words is he "legal" Father? If no then you can withold visits until Paternity is established. If he is legal Father then get your butt into court for a support/visitation/custody order. When doing this ask for "supervised visits only" provide evidence of why this is needed

you'll need to prove that he is a danger to the child. If he was neglectful why didn't you report it until now? The burden is on you to prove it and he likely will get some sort of unsupervised visits unless you can prove he is using drugs, drinking heavily, etc.. He has the same rights as you have and he is Dad so I suggest learning to co-parent with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back