Lawyer has not entered order to terminate child support

Status
Not open for further replies.

justwaiting

My settlement with ex included a requirement for me to pay child support until my child completed 4 years of college. When said child graduated from high school, he chose not to attend college right away. In June/July 2006 I contacted an attorney in a city near my ex, and promptly paid his fee so that he would take care of this for me. In Sept. the attorney began the process of terminating the child support order. For some reason things moved very slowly. My calls to his office were not returned. In summer 2007 I was still receiving monthly notices of child support due. I thought maybe it was just taking a while for the court system to process the change. A call to the court in that town confirmed that no change order had been entered. My ex was preparing to move and I was concerned that this might be harder to accomplish. Continued calls to the attorney were seldom answered, and no information was available to me. In February 2008 my ex had moved. In April the attorney's secretary sent me a motion to review. It is now October and this matter has not been resolved. I am continuing to receive monthly child support coupons. I do not understand why nothing has been done. What recourse do I have?

File a complaint with your state bar.

Now that's the funny answer! This is the attorney who took my money more than two years ago, does not return my calls, and his secretary never has an answer for me. It's hard not to take that personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back