Sick Leave Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoanGirl08

I am a salary employee and my employer does offer paid sick leave. I have recently been ill and recevied approval to leave work to see my Physician. After the appointment, my physician gave me a note requesting that I take time off from work for a few days. As soon as I received this information, I immediately contacted my manger to notify him of the situation and the date that I would be released to return to work. The time frame that I was expected to be on sick leave was no more than 48 hours.

After I hung up the call, my manager continued to call me requesting that I continue to work from home. The tasks that he was requiring were to contact customers and continue to be avaialble via e-mail and by phone. I reminded my manger that I did have a written note for bed rest from my physician and barely had a clear voice to speak with anyone. Is it legal for an employee's manager/ supervisor to continuously contact the employee and demand completion of work while on Physician approved leave?

Where did you get the idea that your doctor gets to run your employer's business? Outside of FMLA, a doctor's note has no force in law.

Unless your illness was covered under FMLA, and if you were only going to be out for 48 hours it most likely was not, what your employer requested may or may not have been inappropriate but it did not violate any laws.

Thank you for your feedback. With this being said and the current economic conditions, I am returning to work regardless of my Doctor's advise. If I am going to be required to work from home and still be docked sick leave, I may as well return to the office where I have adequate technology to complete my work effectively.

Say What!!!

This does not seem to be a legal issue, but rather a moral issue. What gave the boss the power to control a grown adult's decisions to care for their health? When did the boss become a physician or healer? I would think the boss should have started out of the gate hiring an intelligent person who was capable of managing their own health care - IE knowing when they need to rest in order to return to provide a full, fair, competent days work for pay! Boss 0 employee won

Last edited:
I would disagree. You are given paid sick leave and if you decide to take it they have to respect it. There is probably a policy as to how you need to justify sick leave, but a doctor's note is definitely justification.

Where did you get the idea that your doctor gets to run your employer's business? Outside of FMLA, a doctor's note has no force in law.

Unless your illness was covered under FMLA, and if you were only going to be out for 48 hours it most likely was not, what your employer requested may or may not have been inappropriate but it did not violate any laws.

or unless cbg reads disability laws, cbg would know that a doctor's note also covers disability

who gave employer's physician's licenses to be able to practice medicine

i am in total awe

wow, a doctor's degree automatically comes along with a business license

who knew

added note for op - depending on your state, some states require that if an employer offers benefits, then they have to provide them. that also being said, it is ok to go into work when you are sick. infect the rest of the company while you are there so everyone uses their sick leave at the same time. sounds reasonable to me. h1n1 epidemic on the way....

p.s. whether it is h1n1 or not or whatever the illness is, your employer has no right to ask you. employer's have great difficulty abiding by laws or learning something new

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back