Back Ohio sales tax after going bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

markfla123

Had store in Ohio from 1985-1991. Closed stores in 1991...was partnership, not incorporated. Paid all federal tax and state tax. Went bankrupt in Sept. 1991. Moved to Florida. After 10 years..2001 , I threw out everything for the store. In 2002 my partner went to sell a building in Ohio and tax liens came up. We did not owe but I had thrown out the records. I wasn't even aware of the judgment for these in 1992...I was never contacted to defend myself when I had the appropriate paper. We were contacted by a lawyer to pay. Partner's lawyer said it would be easier to pay taxes than fight. One was even after we closed was an estimated tax for a period we weren't even open. We paid....$14,000 worth. I am moving back to Ohio and put a deposit on house there contingent on selling house in florida. Then suddenly collections agency contacts me for $8,700 bill from state for sales tax. We thought all that was taken care of when building was sold. Not sure how they found me. Was is through the deposit on the house possibly? I got a letter but haven't responded. We do not owe these taxes. I believe it was from the estimated time after we closed but I can't remember the exact date. Can they do anything to me in Florida? When I move back to Ohio, I imagine they can put a lien on my house. I am on disability and cannot afford it. How can I prove I don't owe the taxes...even after 16 years? .....and no records but not hearing about it in the first place. How can they come after me for the sales tax after so many years? My business partner went bankrupt in 1993.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back