Abandoned Personal Property

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullivank

My husband and I agreed to let my brother store some items in our basement. We had just purchased this home from him and he didn't have any place to put some larger items. He also left several items of furniture that he said we could have that he did not want. He came back to get a couple items within the first six months. We then had a disagreement with him regarding a house he was rented from us and had him legally evicted for non payment of rent. There is a judgement against him for approximately 1000.00.He has not spoken to us since. I have made several attempts by phone and left voice mail messages asking that he pick up his items or I would get rid of them. I also sent a certified letter to him stating a specific time frame for the items to be picked up or we would dispose of them. He did not retrieve the letter from the post office-it was returned after a month. It has now been over two years.
Can I sell or give away this property? If not, how long do we have to wait for him to come back for the property. I would estimate the total value of all property to be 5000.00.

I can't tell you what to do. But if you sent him a certified letter that wasn't picked up and it has been over 2 years, I'd sell the property. Have you called and have records of the calls? If so, I'd probably keep the judgment amount and send him a check for the remainder, certified mail return receipt requested. I'm not sure what argument he could have in court, especially since after that time it's arguable he abandoned the property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back