locks changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclejeff

I've rented a room in a house from the tenent who leases the house for the last 5 years, paid 1st and last when I moved in. She runs her business out of it and for the last 5 months I've worked for her. On Monday we had a disagreement(she's owed me a weeks check for 2 months now and last Friday's check)she got mad when I stated 2 months is long enough and I"ve been more than patient. She said I no longer work there, and for that matter you no longer live here either. I said ok/whatever, I'll be out by the 1st. I left to pick up my mother from the hospital to take her home after 8 days. I spent the night w/ her and the next day.(she lives in Phoenix, I live in Anthem, about a 1/2 hour north of phoenix.)I came back to Anthem for my 8:30 & 9:30 softball games. When I went home at around 11:00pm the locks had been changed. I rang the doorbell, knocked and called the house, all w/ no response. I left and went to my brother's house in Anthem, where I am at now while writing this. I need to know what my rights are and what I need to do next. I don't have a lot of posessions, but what I do have is in my room and I need access to them. Not to mention a shower and clean clothes. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Jeff

Jeff

Attached are the landlord/tenant laws for Arizona.

http://www.thelpa.com/lpa/landlord-tenant-law/arizona-landlord-tenant-info.html

Pay particular attention to what the landlord (if your roommate can even be called that; technically she is NOT the landlord as she does not own the dwelling and likely hasn't the right to change any locks without the actual landlords permission) cannot do. They CANNOT do an lockout without what is known in Arizona as a "Writ of Restitution" (your states version of an eviction notice) signed by the courts.

Do you know the name/number of the actual landlord? I'd give them a call and let them know what is going on.

They may not even be aware that this person is running a business out of the house.

Gail

Thanks for the help

I'll read the info you provided and try and get in touch with the actual landlord. Thanks again, Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back