Stolen Inheritance

Status
Not open for further replies.

felicity12

My paternal dad died in 1987/1988. Right before his death he received a settlement from his employer. No one, out of his 6 chilldren, heard anything about the settlement until just recently. According to one sibling, my father deposited the proceeds of his settlement into his sister's account. He became deceased before he could do anything with the funds. To this date my aunt has made use of the money. She has bought property (from which she collects rent from tenants), and she purchased a number of large trucks and opened a small trucking company.

I do not believe it was my fathers intention for her to have this money. I believe he was going to pay back child support and divide a portion of the proceeds amongst his children. He just didn't have a chance.

My questions: do we, as the children, have any rights to the funds if checks in reference to the settlement are still being paid to my aunt, is there a statute of limitations on cases such as this, and what will the law help us to achieve since we were never informed about the possibility of an inheritance. My aunt purposely with held pertinent information from me and my siblings. Do we have any recourse? My aunt is 70 years old now, so she has been collecting monies, we think, since the late 1980's.

We were never informed about the settlement so we could not take action back in the 1980's. We are attempting to take action now because we just found out about this inheritance that should have gone to my fathers 6 children.

I inhertited 1/2 my fathers house in 1987 and my mum the other half. I was 20 years old, 23 years younger than my 3 siblings they convinced me it was better to share and now property is all in mums name to be shared upon her passing. slowly both my brothers had moved in and i was pushed out of home due to personality clashes. 23 years later my brothers are still living with mum, rent free and behaving very aggressively towards me, i have arranged to move back in this week due to financial hardship with my 3 children. and the fact that i want to be with mum, she is 86 years old now. My brothers have now aquired very young asian brides and are expecting to continue living with mum. Mum and I do not want this. What can we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back