Accused of stealing from the cash register

Status
Not open for further replies.

catdog77

My daughter was scheduled to work a 6 1/2 hour shift this afternoon. When she arrived at work, she was taken to a room where she was shown a tape of her standing at the cash register. My daughter was too upset to look at the tape, but they said she opened the drawer, appeared to be counting money, and then slipped her hand into her pocket. Their bottom line is that they have money missing, and they are accusing my daughter of taking it. While the tape may be incriminating, I know that if it was viewed frame by frame, it would show that no currency was removed from the till. They played the tape at regular speed.

They had this confrontation planned because they had someone else come in to cover her entire shift. My daughter was told to leave after they played the tape. Human resources will be talking with her over the phone Tuesday afternoon.

My daughter is an honor student, she strongly believes in, and worships God. We're financially stable, even in this rough economy, so she has no reason to steal. She's a junior in high school, and this was her first job. She had been working almost two months on a part time basis, at our local grocery store. She plans on going to college in New York after graduation in hopes of becoming a doctor. My daughter insists that she did not take the money, and I believe her. She said that there are other people that have access to the till. The night manager brings the till to the office to count the money. To the best of my daughter's knowledge, there is no camera in the office.

If she is fired from her job, do we have rights? I don't want this to be on her employment record because when she applies for another job in the future, I don't want potential employers to see their reason for firing her. Would it be in her best interest to hire a lawyer and clear this accusation?

Any information will be greatly appreciated, either from professional people, or from other people that may have experienced a situation like this. Thank you very much.

catdog770

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back