Can a stepmother represent as a parent and act as a school counsil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

realmom

I live in California.

My ex has been a primary custodial parent since we divorced 3 years ago and I requested for modification of custody order since he wasn't letting me see our children after his wife (then girlfriend) attacked me. He's even asking the court to give his wife primary physical custody while he's on deployment stating that I was always unfit to be a mother but that is completely untrue. He always praised me for being a good mother and thanked me for doing good job in the past and I even have emails to prove his lies. He got married quickly after I filed a motion. I check homework and school communication when my kids come to my place after school and I see that his wife and her mother is doing everything even though he signs things here and there. I scan everything in case I need them later.

Today I received a voting ballot for a school counsil for my children's school and found my ex's wife's name as a nominee, listed as parent. I wasn't even informed that she was going for the position and I doubt that she is qualified to assume the position if she got the votes. Am I right or wrong? Can a stepparent represent as a parent while she has no legal custody? If she's not qualified, should I notify the school?

My ex and I are going to the court on the 14th for the hearing. Could I request the court to order my ex's wife not to overstep into parents' boundary?

You shouldn't worry about the school council at this point IMO. You should contact the school to find out who is listed as mother on the children's records, and who is listed as the emergency contact. You should be listed as mother. If your children also live in CA (and relatively close), then you should be the first emergency contact after the father.

If the step is listed as mother, then get a copy of the record and take it to court with you.

I also wouldn't worry about the step signing homework or assignments. IMO that isn't such a huge problem. Homework and assignments are not official records.

Who takes the kids to the doctor? Is the step listed as the mother on the doctor's records? You might want to check that too.

I hope you filed a police report when you were attacked. If so, get a copy to take to court.

If none of the above applies, and the only overstepping is the homework and school council, then I doubt that the judge will be concerned. I think it will only sound petty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back