Third Party Custody North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathryn28694

I am the maternal grandmother of two children, ages 5 and 6. Both children have lived with me since infants. Both mom and dad signed parenting agreements and then guardianship for both of the children. Just this year, I find out that perhaps the guardianship is not "proper" in North Carolina. Dad has only become involved in the last 2 years. Mom has been in and out. Youngest child has special needs.

Both parents have had skippy child support history, minimum involvement in special needs childs' medical appointments/surgeries. Mom's behavior borders on emotional abuse.

Dad now wants children to live with him - new wife. Change the schools and all of the special needs childs' service providers. They live in another county. Mom and Dad filed to revoke the guardianship - I had my custody complaint ready so I filed the next day. At the ex parte hearing, I was given sole legal custody and dad visitation every other weekend. At the 10 day hearing, I was given sole legal custody and primary physical custody and dad got his regular visitation of every weekend. I represented myself throughout all of this.

My concern and question now is whether dad's involvement in the last couple of years (which I facilitated) is enough to erase the first 4 years of being a butthead? He has called me a paid babysitter and that he is going to "let" me still be involved with the kids....give me a break.

So any advice and guidance would be great. I have read probably every case that pertains to third party custody in North Carolina, and feel pretty good about my chances. But you never know when you get in court. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back