Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Criminal Background

Status
Not open for further replies.

vesuvius3565

Twenty years ago, I was ignorant enough to plea bargain a case, because I thought I was going to get a raw deal form my public defender. The charge was misdemeanor larceny. All I got was 1 year probation. Now, 20 years later, nearly all employers are doing background checks, this shows up on my record, and I look like a thief, because of a crime that I didn't even commit. I only plea bargained the case, because I honestly believed that my lawyer was not going to put forth any effort, and was way too friendly with the D.A. who was trying to convict me. Hence, if I would have gone to trial, I thought it would have been much worse. Is there anything I can do to keep this from affecting me on background checks?

Are you telling prospective employers what they're going to find when they run a check?

Many employers will forgive a single mistake, especially one twenty years ago, as long as you're up front and honest about it. Few if any will forgive being lied to, even a lie of omission. The first time the employer hears about this should not be when the background check is returned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back