School District Census (tax info) vs. my privacy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

epicado

The local school district (Bucks County, PA) is sending very intimidating letters demanding my personal information (SS#, DOB, gender, highest educational level, occupation, employer address, hours worked, etc…) as a census update, justifying it as necessary information for tax liability and per capita tax calculations. They cite sub-sections 1351 and 680 of the Public School Code and Act 511 (Local Tax Enabling Act) as their primary authority to demand this information. I am a homeowner (with no kids) who has faithfully paid all property, county, township, earned income, AND per capita taxes on time and to date. Since they obviously already have my information, I am not delinquent in any tax obligation, and SS# and DOB (especially) are critical to identity theft and fraud, do I have any privacy rights to refuse a response or partially respond to this, omitting these items? Their letter demands ALL information in full and threatens a tax penalty equal to levied taxes if I don't respond. I am on my third warning letter because I have not responded yet, and each letter is more intimidating than the last. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

What I am not getting from your refusal is that they already have all this information about you so what is the trouble when it comes to sending it back to them? It is not like they are asking this for the first time as if they were phishing for your information... The whole idea behind it is they need to make sure you are still living there; that the information provided is up-to-date, and, if any changes, they will be properly noted so it will give them enough data to assess how much the tax assessment should be for your local district. Unless you want to be penalized, just send them the info via certified letter if it makes you feel better and if it reassures you that it is going to the right place.

Thank you for your reply.
I understand what you are saying but I guess what I am trying to understand is if I have the right to protect my SS# and/or DOB whether they already have it or not.

That is why you sending your letter certified will reassure you that the right state agency will receive it minimizing the risk of exposure. In the event anything happens, you will have it documented as well. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back