Consumer Fraud deceptive refund practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpensinger

I cancelled a door to door sales contract with a company in Georgia on July 9. This was within the 3 day "cooling off" period. The co. informed me by letter that I would need to return the product to start refund process. They took delivery of the returned product on August 22 (I have postal del. confirmation). On September 22 I called their customer service and was given a number to their "refund department". It's a cell number that no one has ever answered (I've tried it several times since then) and the mailbox is full. So I called customer service again. The woman I spoke to just happened to be on her way down to the refund department right then. She returned my call and said that my check was scheduled to be cut and mailed that very day (coincidence?). On October 2, when I still hadn't revceived the refund, I called again. Wonder of all wonders, the rep just happened to be on her way down to refunds, so she would check it out for me. Turns out they ran out of checks on 9/22 and my check was printed/mailed out on 9/26 instead. Here's where it gets really fun...

I called again on October 6 because I still don't have the refund. The rep I spoke to said there was nothing in their computer system on me! I did not exist to them. I asked her how that could be since I had been told twice now that my refund was on its way. She stated she didn't know why anyone would tell me that and that they would send the check out 10/7 (today) with delivery confirmation. I just called to get the confirmation number from them and the number they gave me is wrong! It's a package going to someone in NC! I live in Indiana! I'm waiting for her to call me back--she went down to refunds to find out what was going on....
So, when do I call a lawyer? A month ago?

Sorry to hear - who cashed your check? This is a good start to try to trace who has your money and begin tapping the right party. You definitely want to send a certified letter/fax/text message with the relevant information about what has transpired and demanding your money back. I would then begin to find out my options for what I may need to do, e.g. what bank the money was cashed, whether it was cashed out, put into an account, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back