Fired for being "suspect"of a robbery!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge_Rioja

Dear advisors:

I was fired a few days ago.
I have been working at some hotel in the Miami area for almost 4 years.
On October 30, 2008 the General Manager called into his office for a meeting in presence of the head maintenance, my supervisor. There, he explained me briefly that on October 24, 2008 somebody had stolen some money from a guest room, let say room 123, using a master key No 5. He asked me if I had something to say about it. I responded that even though I was working that day I had nothing to say about it. Also, I reminded him that since I had started working at that hotel, almost 4 years ago, I had been assigned the master key No 2, a master key totally different.
Then, he stated that on October 24, 2008 the master keys had been taken by the authorized employees in this order:
A.The head of maintenance, took his assigned master key No1, at 7:50 am.
B.The housekeeper supervisor, took her assigned master key No6 at 8:00 am.
C.I, maintenance assistant, took my assigned master key No2 at 8:05 am. This master key was assigned to me on February, 2005 and was used for me since then, that is, until September 2008 when I was fired.
It is pertinet to say that, every time that a master key is removed from the front desk reception by an employee he or she is supposed to sign a GRANDMASTER KEY AND HOURS WORKED LOG sheet. The front desk employee witnesses such acts and signs its conformity. This procedure was followed on October 24, 2008 when somebody stole some money from a guest room. Also, I took my assigned master key No2 and NOT MASTER KEY No5 NOR ANY OTHER MASTER KEY. This is what it is written on the "Grandmaster key and Hours worked log sheet." However, the general manager concluded that, as a consequence of being the last employee in taking a master key from the front desk, I also took the master key No5 which was used to open and steal some money from room 123.
He finally said that with all this "evidence" obtained against me, he had sufficient evidence to fire me because of being "suspect" of such a robbery, and I was fired under that reasoning.
I will appreciate any advice about this issue.

Are you contracted/union employee?

I do not belong to any union. I think that we do not have any in Florida. On the other hand, I suppose that I am a contracted employee. But, please give me some definition of a contracted employee if possible.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Question

I read from somebody registered at this forum that it is legal to terminate someone for "suspicion" of theft. If this is possible for an employer to do, what are the legal basis to support such a decision. On the other hand, if you are fired for "suspicion" of theft with no evidence at all (among other reasons, simply because you were not involved in such as criminal conduct), is there any legal action you might initiate against the employer?
Thanks for any information.

Jorge - there are unions for hotel employees in FL. Now, regarding you being fired for suspicion, yes, it is legal to do that but, if you have nothing to fear and if they bring charges upon you, fight them with the evidence you have. Regarding you wanting to retaliate and sue your former employer for being fired... well, that is kind of iffy in your situation. See, employers can fire anyone at any time for no reason. They don't need to have one and are not obligated to tell you either. So, my suggestion is for you to move on. Check the link below for explanations on termination. Good luck to you!

www.employeeissues.com/fired_job.htm

Thank you Presuntin for your prompt response.
Do you think that, under those false accusations against me, I will face some complications to get the unemployment benefits?

You can file but I am sure your former employer will fight it and consequently, it may be denied. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back