Bad Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyblue2009

I am a seventeen year old living in Kentucky. I turn 18 in just three months, but right now that feels like too long of a wait. My parents think I'm mentally unstable. However, I am a straight A honor student and have plans on attending a major university. I have had a boyfriend in the past that my parents did not like. In fact, he and I broke up because of my racist father. Recently, we began talking again. My father decided to record my phone conversations using a tape recorder. Is this legal? Also, my father has decided that I am not allowed to talk to the guy in question. He says that the guy is no good for me, however I have no intention on stopping talking to him. He has threatened both me and the guy many times, and he really does scare me. My father and I have done nothing but fight, and I do nothing but cry anymore. I have no more privileges. I'm not even supposed to be on the internet right now, and I am risking a lot by doing so--but I need outside help with this situation. Advice?

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do until you're 18. Although it sounds like a tense situation, it doesn't sound abusive. There is also no way that you can be emancipated, especially since you will be 18 in only three months.

If you move out at 18, can you still afford to go to college without your parents' help?

Yes. As a Governor's Scholar, I already have my full tuition paid for. I also receive 2500 dollars in KEES money after I graduate. That leaves me with anywhere from 3000-5000 dollars that's not covered, which I plan to make up for in either student loans or other outside scholarships.

A judge is not going to emancipate you on that basis, if that's what you mean.

As long as you are under 18, if your father says don't talk to him, you don't talk to him. There is NOTHING in the law that is going to force him to let you talk to your boyfriend as long as you are still a minor.

When you turn 18, you can do and go where you like. Until that time, what Dad says goes, no matter how unreasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back