How can I sue someone who lives in the US for money he owed me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris1724

I need some help to know if I could sue my ex-fiance for the monies he owed me. I live in Australia and my ex-fiance lives in the US (las vegas). He owes me US$10,000. I have proof of all the remittances advice that I sent him. I also know where he works and his SSN number.

After we broke up, we were still in touch but just few months ago his phone was cancelled and he never called me. He just ignored me. He is aware of the monies that he owes me and he promised me that he will pay me on installment basis but now he's not calling me anymore. I don't know his exact address now in Las Vegas.

I need to know if I have the power to sue him even if I live overseas? Can I get a US lawyer to help me out? If I can sue him, what steps should I do?

I am able to travel to the US again if I know I have a chance to sue him.

I would very much need help. Thanks!

Two options: 1) Check in your country if there are attorneys with affiliations or partners who are U.S. based. Once you do that, you can give them power of attorney to have your case filed in the U.S. and to represent you up to the trial stage. It will cost you a pretty penny though. 2) Consult directly with law offices in the Las Vegas, NV area to see if they are willing to take your case once you give them Power of Attorney to represent you in this case. Provide them with everything you have to substantiate your case. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back