Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI Pa Dui Interlock Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelersfan

I live in PA and have had 2 dui's, one in 1996 and the 2nd one in 2005. The conviction on my last dui said I must have an interlock ignition device for 1 year. I couldnt afford the cost of having the device and I really didn't want to drive again after the accident.

It's ben about 4 years and I have not even considered driving until now. The car is registered in my name and my husbands name. I was told had I removed my name from the title/registraion that since the state would ahve thought I didn't have a car, I would have been able to get my normal unresticted license back after the 1 year sentence and would not need the ignition interlock. I am not sure if that's what legally could have been done. Since I couldn't afford and didn't take my name off the title I still have to serve out the 1 ear ignition interlock device.

My opinion and question is that since I didn't drive and it's been 4 years could I appeal or have an attoryney do something that would enable me to get my license back without having to get that device (i still couldn't afford it). The situation in my life has changed and I want/need to get a job and think I served a longer sentence by not driving for 4 years I should be able to get my license back without paying and having the device installed for 1 year.

Is thsere a chance that an attorney would be able to get this taken care of by requesting this be done now?? I would even be willing to pay the whole years cost of the interlock device even though I didn't drive. It doesn't seem fair that had I played the system and put the car in only my husbands name this would have been cleared up after 1 year of not having acar registered to me. Since I didn't drive I think I should be able to clear this up.

If someone could tell me if this is viable and or what I should/can do I will be very gratful, thanks to anyone who can help in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back