Harassment Complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwannabelikekev

I am working for a consultant company and I was contracting for a client company.
I got acquainted with a married woman at work in the client company through some meetings. She was also a contractor but working for another agency. She was very friendly and talked about a lot of things including her personal life. Since she was having friendly conversations, I also started having some friendly conversations with her. Since I guess she and I were almost coming and leaving at the same time, we have met a lot of times in the garage and walked together, she would go in her car and I would go in my car. She lives far away and I live near by. So, we take different routes. In fact, I invited her and another friend of hers for my birthday lunch. I saw her as a good friend.
One fine day, the manager at my client company said that he was not satisfied with my performance and he decided to let me go off from the team in 2 weeks and he asked me to transition the work that I had been doing to another new employee.
One week after this incident, I got a call from my consultant company asking me not to go to the client company as she filed a harassment complaint. She had mentioned that - 1. I had been following her in the garage and at workplace, 2. I had been staring at her office from the stairs (insane why would I look at chair and desk in the office?), 3.I have been waiting for her in the garage when she was in the fitness center working out for 15 minutes.
She was talking to me casually until the last day I met her and I have no idea why she would file a complaint all of a sudden. She never told me that she was uncomfortable talking to me.
She has mentioned that her husband doesn't have a job 3-4 times, she lives in her mom's house temporarily until her husband finds a job (it has been almost 4-5 months since she said that), she wasn't making good money in her previous job, she is trying to have kids, going to doctor because of complications, won't get paid if she takes sick leaves or maternity leaves. Not sure if money was her motive. But anyways, the client company terminated my contract. So, she won't be able to sue the client company and make money.
My consultant company has a lengthy procedure for handling harassment complaints. At first, I was interrogated by couple of HR folks based on the complaint. But, I wasn't given the copy of the complaint and they didn't disclose the date on which it was filed. They just disclosed the name of the complainant. The next day, they went to the client company to interview the complainant and her manager. Those details were not revealed to me.
The HR folks have documented all these information and sent them to Grievance committee in my consultant company. It has been almost 3 weeks and I have no idea what is going on. AFAIK, they will take a decision and communicate to both the parties. If someone is not happy with the decision, they can appeal for it and the final decision will be made.
What are the possible outcomes here? In the best case scenario, if my consultant company says that her allegations can't be proved and if she is not satisfied and files a complaint with EEOC, will she be able to make any money? In the worst case scenario, if my consultant company asks me to resign, what are my rights? Can I file a defamation lawsuit on her stating that she filed the complaint for making money? She is also a contractor working for another consultant company.

I strongly suggest that you consult with an employment/labor attorney to evaluate your options and to consider your next course of action. Good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back