Consumer Law, Warranties Contract with local gym that closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKinCA

My wife signed a 3 year Lady of America gym membership contract about 10 months ago. The local affiliate gym has sent a letter that they are closing (this past Saturday) and the nearest other Lady of America is 20 miles away. Per their contract that she signed (in very fine print) it states if the member cancels the membership for anything other that a medical reason or being farther than 25 miles away from another facility she cannot get a refund or cancellation.

But what if the local franchise closes? Shouldn't that make the contract null and void since their is no language in the contract for that situation?

The only contract language that seems vague to me is this which kinda seems like a catch all....

"This membership is not negotiable, transferrable, or cancellable except as otherwise provided herein."

My wife did call the outside agency that Lady of America hired for their closed franchises and they stated the info is in the contract and that she is liable because she is within the 25 miles but as I said, the contract states if the member cancels, not if the francise closes.

I cannot imagine this contract being enforceable since they closed the location near you. Expecting you to drive 20 miles is ridiculous. There is nothing preventing them though from trying to collect on it. I would take this to a local TV station, get the local media involved. Them trying to make members drove 20 miles is bad business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back