Neighbor Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael_P

Swansea Massachusetts

I moved in with my grandmother to help take care of her and live in the upstairs apartment at her home. We live on the end of our road on a river. The road literally ends about 20 feet before the river. Next door to me my uncle lives in his own home. The two riverside plots are owned by my family. However one house up from me my neighbor has made it his mission to call the police on me at every turn.

It started with him complaining that I drive too fast down the road even though I maintain the speed limit. He's called about that numerous times each time the officer saw no issues. Then it moved on to calling the police on me every time I had people over. Stating we were being too loud, every time officers show up their is never a problem. They talk to him and move along. He has even called the authorities on me when I was cutting trees down in my yard telling the officers that someone was running around with a chainsaw. Last night I had people over for a monthly game night. Old friends and such. It is a late night usually getting over at about 2 am. My uncle woke me up telling me he had a message on his answering machine from my neighbor. About three minutes of ranting about people leaving at 3 in the morning and how he was sick of it and all my bulls***. The message is rather nasty and while not threatening it was very inappropriate, rude, and made at 2 am anyway. No police had ever shown up to my knowledge, I have also made them aware of the situation and have been instructed to simply avoid contact with this man. I've done fine in that respect since I've never spoken to this man once since I moved in. The entire neighborhood has issues with this man, but nobody seems to do anything about it.

I've been told by the police their is nothing illegal about whats going on, I've never broken the noise ordinance. Nor have I ever done anything to this man. Its completely legal for people to stay over until any hour, any day, as long as i do not disturb the peace. With the exception of this man, I haven't. The rest of my neighbors love me.

My question is can I do anything besides ignore him. It's one thing to call the police on me since now they pretty much ignore him and his "cry wolf" stories. But now he his beginning to harass my family. Is their anything that can be done. I can't talk to him simply to avoid anything that could get me in to any sort of trouble. I'm wondering if I can file a formal complaint or a grievance against him. It's been 9 months since I've been here and not once broken the law. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can try sending a cease and desist letter (certified) explaining that you will not tolerate unfounded claims against you anymore and that if he continues, you will have to pursue legal action against him. If he is smart enough, he will get the message. Hope this helps and good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back