How to collect rent after eviction

Status
Not open for further replies.

bquoss

We currently have a rental house in Oklahoma.

The couple that was renting, skipped out without paying July and Aug Rent. They were given a 5-day notice. They left the house before we evicted them. However, we never got the rent and we were stuck with a $224 water bill.

I want to know what should be my next steps. Should I just say, oh well that's life....try to negotiate with the couple to get the unpaid money and if it does not work take it to small claims.....

I am not looking to collect the entire amount of the lease, just the couple of months they were there and the water bill.

Thanks

If you know where these two now live (so they can be served) consider taking them to Small Claims Court.

It is a relatively minor fee to file against someone in Small Claims (and if you win, court fees are added to the judgement) and an attorney is not required.

Your former tenants are responsible for July and August rent plus (if they are on a yearly lease) any other months it took you to rerent the unit as well as the water bill.

Keep in mind that winning the case in Small Claims Court does not guarantee you will actually see any money from these tenants. However, with a judgement against them you can consider steps such are garnishment of wages and any bank accounts. These methods are often the only way landlords end up getting money owed them.

Gail

P.S. In the future, never let tenants go two months without paying you. Many landlords begin the eviction process (initially with a Pay or Quit notice) the day after the rent is late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back