Can my medical bills haunt my boyfriend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawien

Im currently in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Brown county.

I moved from California to Wisconsin to live in with a boyfriend on July 13 .. on August 20 I was admitted to a hospital for 8 days. At the time I had no job, no income, nothing. When we were in the hospital I filled out a form stating basically I was broke and owed $15000 in student loans. My boyfriend signed a paper saying he provided my food and housing until I found work, and provided a check stub. They said it was just to make sure I wasnt living with a millionaire. This was for something I later found out to be a community care program.

After about 2 wks of coming home, I started to get bills. Overal, I owe $47,000 in medical bills (no insurance.) and basically with the job I just got, and the bills I pay to live/help out the home with my boyfriend, I can only afford $20 a month to each different bill without being completely flat broke.

My boyfriend however is very scared that he will be responsible for my bills if I cant pay them, to the point hes thinking I should move out. What I want to know is can he be legally responsible for MY unpaid debts because were living together? Were not married, dont intend to be married, nothing of the sort. But he is afraid that they will go after him, and possibly reposes a house he bought last year.

I consoled him that IF they came after him, that I would immediately file for bankruptcy, even though I'm only 21 years old ..

So my second question is, if I have to, is over 50,000 dollars of debt with med bills and school bills combined enough to get a bankrupcty going? I have no assets, and I only make $1,000 a month at a temporary job. I understand the bankruptcy won't eliminate the student loans, but it IS part of my total debt.

Thanks.

Your boyfriend is not responsible for the bills and they are not going to come after him because the bills are in your name. Tell him to chill. It looks like consulting with a bankruptcy attorney will be your best bet since the situation is really getting a bit overwhelming for you to bear. Hope this helps and good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back