Landlord suing me, illegal rental, harassment by landlord, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dale3nj8

I will try to be brief but this is rather a complicated issue.
I rented this hunters shack from an elderly man. Whom since I have found to be somewhat senile. He refuses to give me a reciept for rent or let me pay any other way than cash, has ripped up my checks and thrown on floor of porch. So I have no way to document payment on my behalf. We had a verbal lease for approx 4 years, when he started to bring lawsuits saying I owe him money, he would have me sent summons, then cancel them, I was very threatened and scared so I continue to pay cash, as I cannot afford the rents elsewhere for decent housing, and NJ is so expensive. I dont have good credit so cannot even apply for many. This does not mean I do not pay my rent to him.
Also he has many many times called me and harassed me by cursing then telling me to get out causing me to cry, to not sleep, generally causing me to be depressed now for many years. I cannot take him anymore.
In the beginning I had to change lock because he would enter when I was not home.
He also comes and snoops around whenever I am not at home, he live down street.
Holes in kitchen to outside, furnice ready to go, I have to fix everything he does very few things, he had to put new bladder in water tank, and fix a leak in roof but left without finishing and left pack of shingles elec cord, etc on roof is still there what I couldnt reach, also left stuff in yard. The conditions are horrid.
He will only except cash as he does not want government to know so he does not have to pay taxes. (do I have recourse to sue him as I cannot claim for rental on taxes or rebates. ) He has once written how much I pay so I could get fuel help, I still have that.
So one day I am on phone with phone company with a fee compaint, after I told him I wanted receipts from now on, cause of his frivilous lawsuits he kept filing. So I finally get person on phone and he knocks on my door so person is waiting for me to come back, I am hurried. He hands me folded paper telling me is rent receipt to sign it, I am so upset about phone call I don't read just sign, was after 3 days when I remember and look at it. I was paying 500 a month verbal agreement. He then on this paper raises it to 950 a month, saying its 200 more for rent a month, plus ( now get this) I have a metal shed he allowed on property is in woods. He allowed it then tried to tell me he is getting taxed many diff. amounts a month from 200 to 600 depending on his mood now this is per month, now I am allowed it is no foundation, too small to be taxed I know as fact. Plus he allowed it, his taxes were raised due to NJ reavaluating everyone and raising the values. He owns several properties and seems to want to collect all of it from me alone, even though he has another better house he wont rent out down street. So I called him told him was illegal to raise my rent that much but was after 3 days so I couldnt do anything else, he has continued to collect the 500 rent, is nice sometimes, but very horrible if in bad mood he goes nuts, and now has a civil action suit filed on me for 8000 (6000 rent arrears/2000 on get this storage fee for my shed) No letters ever but law suits cancelled until this civil suit now. No letters of complaint, nothing just threats cursing, knocking on door and everyday harrasement.
I don't know what recourse i have due to the cash method, I am sick to my stomach about the money I am poor I have no such money, all money goes to living expenses. Lousy car, and nothing of value. I have to respond within a couple weeks and I am at a lose. I will try to contact legal aid but meanwhile I am sick.
Thanks Dale
PS: My son has witnessed behavior from him, heard calls left on machine etc.

Paragraphs are nice things to have. Without them it's often hard to figure out what one is posting.

When someone files a lawsuit against someone, it's up to THEM to prove their case. If you two have no lease that specifically states the amount of rent owed (and paid) your landlord is going to have a bit of a problem proving his contention that you owe him this much money.

The court really doesn't want to hear about the calls you say are harassment and have caused you to cry. Their contention will be that you are an adult and were free to find another place to live.

The real issue here seems to be 1. is rent money owed and 2. is the rental habitable with all the damages you mention. Bring the information he wrote down that one time regarding your rent as this is at least some proof on what the rent should be. Explain that you have no other documentation as your landlord has refused checks and refused to provide you with a receipt. Take pictures of the things that need repair.

As in many of these cases, it will come down to a "he said, she said" issue. Keep your presentation short and to the point as judges don't necessarily have the patience to hear sob stories and will often tell someone that if the living conditions were so horrible, they should have moved out years ago.

Gail

Thank You, I was lucky to hear I have a new place I can go to now. Finally a person whom charges reasonable rent because she knows the hardships in NJ today.

But back to the issue, I finally spoke with him, asked him a few pointed questions like is he reporting this income to the IRS etc. I have an idea I am working on to get him to let up. As for nothing written down I am guessing you missed the part about the receipt/lease issued by him. But thanks for your advise, but seems whenever I am watching tv court issues when you dont have reciepts/cancelled checks you always lose.

And one thing, though the judge may be able to say I should move so quickly, cause of conditions, I would have something say to that. Considering the rents out there where would they suggest I go, be homeless how stupid of a statement is that?? I am a single women, I do believe a lousy roof is better than none. You do what you gotta do to survive, I cannot imagine a judge saying such a stupid thing. There are no choices in NJ,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back