Can I stop my 17 year old daughter from leaving home in Missouri?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmj7

My daughter is 16 and will be turning 17 in a few days. She says that she is moving out, but has no way of supporting herself since she does not have a job. She states that she will be living with friends. I do not want her to leave. If she leaves without my permission, can I legally stop her or if I can't stop her, am I still liable for her support?

The age of majority in Missouri is 18, so you still have rights and responsibilities for your daughter. However, if she moves out, you may have to go to court for an order to force her to return.

If she moves out against your wishes, you do not have to support her by paying rent, or buying groceries or clothes for her. You're already doing that in her current home. In fact, you don't have to let her take anything from your home when she moves out. Let her leave with the clothes she's wearing.

Can a 16 year old leave home if have job plus roommate?

16 year old daughter wants to leave home, because stablilties of her guardian are unsuitable, unstabled, and not supportive in any way. She has a roommate thats 18 years of age that she wants to live with in Chicago. They both have a job to supply for rent, food, and clothes.

Last edited:
16 year old daughter wants to leave home, because stablilties of her guardian are unsuitable, unstabled, and not supportive in any way. She has a roommate thats 18 years of age that she wants to live with in Chicago. They both have a job to supply for rent, food, and clothes.

If you want advice for your problem, or answers to your own questions, then you should always start your own thread. Hijacking another's thread, even unintentionally, is not usually effective, nor is it good forum etiquette.

However, since I read it, I'll answer here. If you have additional questions, then please repost in your own thread.

The 16 yr old is still a minor, so she cannot legally move out of her guardian's home without permission. If the guardian objects, she may legally force her to return.

Also, the 18 yr old could face some legal problems for harboring a runaway. If the 18 yr old is male, then there could also be sex offense charges if their relationship is, or becomes, sexual in nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back