signing over father's rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

lola1975

i had an unplanned pregnancy with an ex we were only dating a few months. he didnt want the baby. was not involved in the pregnancy or birth or anything. i kept the baby and now want him to sign over his rights. he didnt sign the birth certificate so right now there is no father on the birth certificate. i want nothing from him. do i NEED to get him to sign over his rights even though he has expressed zero interest. i am trying to protect myself for the future i dont want him thinking he can come in and out of my kid's life. will he need to take a paternity test before he signs his rights? do i need a lawyer and the court to be involved or can i just get the forms and get them notarized or something?

If he has not legally acknowledged paternity, then he is not the legal father and has no rights to terminate. If he decides to pursue visitation/custody at some point, then paternity will have to be established first.

If or when paternity is established, it is generally not possible to terminate parental rights, unless your state's grounds for termination are met. Those grounds are usually quite stringent. Your desire to sever ties, or his desire to avoid responsibility is not sufficient grounds.

If you ever apply for state aid, you will have to name the father because the state will expect him to reimburse them for your child's support.

Until paternity is established, you do not have to allow him to 'come in and out' of the child's life.

He cannot terminate his rights. It is up to you on whether or not you want to establish paternity. Until then he has no rights so maybe he will just go away.

Some states actually do allow voluntary termination of parental rights under certain circumstances, but the child support obligation remains (except in cases of step-parent adoption.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back