discover credit card lien now debt summons

Status
Not open for further replies.

meahmiller

my husband who was secondary on my discover card ran up my bill over the limit. i had that card for years and was a good customer. he did this right before he went into the hospital and being diagnosed as bipolar. well i don't work and he recently got a demotion(major) at work. he went from make 150K a year to around 60K. i can't pay this and i recieved a notice of judgement. everyone told me to do nothing. well i didn't now i have a lien on my name. yesterday i was served with papers to go to court. i'm assuming its called a debt summons. well we are behind on every single bill we pay. i have extra stuff like dsl and satellite but they are all under contract and if i don't pay them they will draft almost 1000 out of my checking account. my husband only clears $3500 a month. we pay $400 for medical insurance and $1131.11 in medicine copays a month. i have so much debt at the moment there is no way i can pay on this. when my husband gets paid we actually don't get any money. it goes into our checking account and the bank takes the whole thing plus some to pay our loans. my question is what is going to happen? i can't get a loan cause of now bad credit. we have huge medical bills(bipolar son & husband)(multiple psych hospital stays). we also can't refinance our house because of the 2 hurricanes that we just had. no one is writing mortgages in louisiana.

like i said what is going to happen? also what can i expect in court?

I'm sorry to hear about your trouble. Who is "everyone" and why did they tell you to do nothing? Very bad advice. At court things will proceed the way you expect them to proceed and you may do better by avoiding it and seeing if you can work out something with the creditor or you're going to be liable for court costs as well. Unfortunately stating hardship such as bipolar disorder or having your other bills being very high isn't a defense to a civil judgment.

is there any way to get out of paying this besides by filing bankruptcy? we are essentially bankrupt but i don't want to file bankruptcy. I don't see me having any money at all to be able to pay anything on this bill. i am having a hard time just keeping the elec on. our credit is messed up from this and with the state of banks right now i can't get a loan to pay this in full.

i will call the lawyers office monday to see if there is something i can do like delay payment on it for a couple of months. maybe within a couple of months my husband will get a promotion.

well i has gotten worse. today i got a letter stating that if i don't pay $1800 by monday my car will be repo'ed. i have no clue what to do at this point. should i just bite the bullet and file chapter 13?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back