Notice of non-renewal of lease for being arested in the complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poisoned

The other day I got a new mustang. The next day I got real drunk and took some pills that my boss gave me. I was extremely drunk and don't even remember most of the night.

Today a got a letter from a lawyer and a Notice of non-renewal of lease based on CALIFORNIA civil code section 1946. In the letter from the layer it explains that the cause is for being arrested for driving recklessly in the complex, presumably intoxicated and having a firearm in the car. It was very late when this happened and I have no idea where they got the information but the details are very inaccurate as I was not arrested for any of that but for warrants in another county. My question is how did they obtain this information and is that an invasion of my privacy. Also to have this inaccurate personal information taped to my door all day for anyone to take off and read is quite alarming. As far as I know something like this has to be delivered to you in person or through the mail. Our lease is up at the end of next month and it is going to be hard for me to come up with first and last months rent because of the lawyers that I am hiring for this criminal case. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to get some extra time to live here to save up a little extra money as well as why they are able to tape this type of personal information to my front door.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what to say

First, if you don't remember most of the night, it would seem that you are not in a position to say that you didn't drive around your own complex recklessly and acting in a manner as one who may be (and smell) intoxicated. Perhaps something did happen and you should find out more about whether there are additional charges.

Second: If there are warrants out for your arrest, then I'd hardly think that this is private information.

Third: Coming up with the rent is a responsibility. If you would like to negotiate with the landlord, you are free to do so but I'm sure he'd tell you that he won't take your plea for poverty when you drive up in a new Mustang. Think about what you are saying and whether you would tolerate not receiving your money for such an excuse.

The best advice I can give -- if you are looking to find ways to argue that what was done to you was wrong because of conduct demeaning and damaging to your character and that private liberties were invaded -- you might be taking the wrong approach. Realize that you start off by saying that you got drunk (already a bad sign) and then just took pills (haven't asked what they were) and then you acted irresponsibly and were driving, potentially impaired and in a position to seriously hurt someone. You will be expected to take responsibility for your actions. If you continue to talk about how your rights are being trampled upon, I'd venture to say you won't be taken seriously and may end up in a worse situation than you could be if you decide that perhaps you may have acted extremely irresponsibly and recklessly.

What do your attorneys say?

Originally posted by Poisoned
The other day I got a new mustang. The next day I got real drunk and took some pills that my boss gave me. I was extremely drunk and don't even remember most of the night.

Today a got a letter from a lawyer and a Notice of non-renewal of lease based on CALIFORNIA civil code section 1946. In the letter from the layer it explains that the cause is for being arrested for driving recklessly in the complex, presumably intoxicated and having a firearm in the car. It was very late when this happened and I have no idea where they got the information but the details are very inaccurate as I was not arrested for any of that but for warrants in another county. My question is how did they obtain this information and is that an invasion of my privacy. Also to have this inaccurate personal information taped to my door all day for anyone to take off and read is quite alarming. As far as I know something like this has to be delivered to you in person or through the mail. Our lease is up at the end of next month and it is going to be hard for me to come up with first and last months rent because of the lawyers that I am hiring for this criminal case. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to get some extra time to live here to save up a little extra money as well as why they are able to tape this type of personal information to my front door.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back