Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Theft Of Library Property

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevieJoy

I know that this is going to sound really stupid to most, but I wanted to discuss my case, and I hope someone could possibly give the answers I need...

To explain my situation in detail, About 2 years ago, my Mother was hospitalized for an illlness, and there was a certain article in a magazine she wanted to read. It was no longer on the stands so I went to our local library to get a back issue. I took it out and gave it to her. Somewhere along the lines of her getting more ill, and being life-flighted to another hospital, I forgot about the magazine I had brought to her in the hospital. It was lost in the shuffle. When my Mom was being life-flighted, and ended up dying, my first thought was not,"Oh, where's the magazine at?"
I totally forgot about this magazine, which by the way, was a People magazine that you can buy for $2.99 at a store. I got a letter months down the road telling me the magazine was overdue. I went in and told them I lost the magazine and the whole situation behind it. They could've cared less. They wanted me to pay a fine of over $80.00. I disagreed with them and told them I was willing to pay face value for the magazine or even replace it by going online and ordering a back issue but I did not have the money to give them $80.00. They didn't want that, they wanted the money they asked me for. So I just left, thinking,"Oh well, I guess I won't be taking anything out of the library again, because I can't afford to pay off the fine."
A month later, I got a letter in the mail from district court...the library had sent it into the courts. They said I had two weeks to plead guilty/not guilty of "Theft Of Library Property" and pay the fine or I'd have a warrant for my arrest. I didn't have the money at the time. My Mother died without a will, and I owed money in funeral expenses and other things. At 26 years old, it was very hard for me to pay my own expenses, let alone be left with more.
I didn't really think it was that big of a deal..I lost a library magazine! It's not like I was a dope dealer! So I waited to see if I could get the money together. Then I was contacted by a PA state constable, who sent me a letter saying I had $30.00 to pay $300-some dollars to the courts or I'd be arrested. I contacted him and I told him my situation. He said to me,"I'm busy out looking for assault cases. It's not that serious to me right now. Just pay it as soon as you can." I couldn't come up with the money at the time, so I contacted a lawyer for advice, and he told me to just go out and plea guilty and set-up payment plans. So I did this. I set-up payment plans, and began paying off the charges, but after awhile, my husband lost his job, and with a baby on the way, I started having problems coming up with the money every month, and I quit paying it. I know that this was wrong, but I figured that it would just go away. Stupid me!
I didn't hear anything for a year, so I figured they just let it go. It was a lost magazine for God sakes! But last Thursday, I got a call from home saying that a card had been left inside my door from the PA constable. He had been there looking for me to arrest me over the lost magazine. He said I owed over 300.00 and he could arrest me at any time, etc..
I went to the courts first thing in the morning and just coughed up the $306.84 I owed to them..I had to borrow it from my sister. I have a 5 month old daughter and I really needed that money for her expenses, not for this.
If someone was to borrow a magazine from me, and lost it, I couldn't then take them to court and charge them 20 x's more than what it was worth, so how can this be legal to do. My sister, and a friend have both said that they have overdue library costs that are from years ago, and never was there a time that the library turned them in for overdue fines, so how can I be singled out of a bunch because of a lost magazine that I offered to replace or pay the face value?
I also have a theft charge on my record. I have never been in trouble in my life. Never had a ticket or anything, so I don't know what I can do about this, but I want to have it looked into. When I went to court, I never went before a judge to even hear my case. It was always just paying at the window. I want the theft charge removed if I can. So could anyone give me some advice on what measures I need to take to have this looked into and whether I can have the theft charge removed. I'm from Venango County in Oil City, PA.

" so I contacted a lawyer for advice, and he told me to just go out and plea guilty and set-up payment plans."

Sadly, he gave you advice I'd consider malpractice.

When you "rent" something, the entity you "rent" it from is entitled to more than just face value at times. By you renting the magazine, you preculded others from "renting" it, and thus the library making fees.

I feel sorry for you, and I think it's ridiculous this has gone as far as it has.

I assume your theft charge is a misdemeanor. 5 years after your conviction, if you have a clean record, you can get it expunged. If it comes up in a job interview, definately tell them what happened. For important interviews where you know they'll do a background check, mention what happened right away.

Good Luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back