Speeding ticket in NY on IL License

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikchow

I got a speeding ticket (Uniform Traffic Ticket) issued on I-81 in Jefferson county for driving at 83mph on a 65mph road. I have recently moved to NY from IL and am still holding an IL license and registration. The court mentioned on the ticket is around 2:45 hrs from my current residence in Rochester. This is my first offence and my driving history is absolutely clean.

I have a few concerns regarding pleading guilty/not guilty:

1) I was wondering whether the points assigned in NY will get transferred to my license in IL. If it doesnt get transferred then its not worthwhile for me to please not guilty, right?

2) I was wondering that since I am a resident on NY, will it help to get a NY license & registration now? That might help with the points, right? What would be a good time to get the license changed? after the ticket gets sorted or right now?

3) The county of the court is pretty small (a place called Lafargeville in upstate newyork near watertown) and so the chances of high case volumes there would be relatively low thereby reducing the chances of getting a reduction.

4) The likelihood of attending the court sort of scares me because I move around quite a bit (am an IT consultant from India) and am not sure how long I am going to stay in NY. If I have to move out I wont be able to attend the court if required.

5) Chances of getting the ticket dismissed is low since I admitted to the officer that I think I was driving at 70 and he said I was driving at 83 and I said it might have been only for a short duration. All this is mentioned on the supporting deposition that he provided.

Any advice on the same will be highly appreciated. The ticket was issued on Saturday afternoon (09/20/2008) and its mentioned on the ticket to mail the not guilty plea within 48hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back