Legal wording opinion requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmlvail

Just looking for legal opinion on the wording from my Separation Agreement on support now that my son is in college. It states the following:

"The parties shall be responsible for fifty percent (50%) of the reasonable costs for post-secondary education for the child after the application of the amount of child support then being paid"

I would like to know how you feel this is meant to be interpreted?

It seems to me your child support pays for some of the education and you pay 50% of what CS does not cover.

Thanks,

Everyone I spoke to seems to agree that the key word is "after" meaning that I would be responsible for 50% of the college costs after the child support is applied. So if the cost for college is 40K and I owed 20K for my half of college and pay 10K per year in support then I would just be responsible for the 10,000 balance. Do you read it that way?

I agree with Duranie.

IMO, it says that if the tuition is 40K, then after child support is applied, the total becomes 30K. So, you each pay 15K.

You are right that the key word is 'after'. First you apply the child support amount, then you split the balance 50/50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back