victim of crime while at work, where to look for help

Status
Not open for further replies.

justkaibab

My husband is a salesman, while at one of his stops he was attacked by a salesman from another company. He received 2 broken ribs, bruising to the lung and has been off work for about a month. We did file a police report, they said to turn it into the DA, which we did. My question is, does this all fall under workers comp, or should we talk to another type of attorney? My husbands boss, just wants us to drop it, but so far nothing has happened to the attacker. He is still at work. We tried calling around for advice, but so far we just get referred around in circles. We do not understand the legal system, but this just does not seem fair.
My husband took the beating, because his company was warned by their boss to always keep their hands to themselves if they want to keep their jobs. Thank you for any suggestions.

He can file with workers comp for his medical care. However, the nature of workers comp is that he has no legal recourse against HIS employer for what happened. What recourse he has against the individual who did the beating is a separate issue.

He can file with workers comp for his medical care. However, the nature of workers comp is that he has no legal recourse against HIS employer for what happened. What recourse he has against the individual who did the beating is a separate issue.
what type of attorney would handle that? Is that separate from our filing with the DA. Do you know if we can go after the attackers employer as there has been a history with this man and his temper? Yet he is still out working and my husband, when he finally passes the fit to work evaluation, will once again be in the same stores as his attacker.
Thank you so much.

No, you have no case against his employer. The employer is not responsible for actions not taken as part of his employment - in other words, unless the employer TOLD him to go beat your husband up, it's not the fault of the employer.

I'd wait and see what the DA does before taking any further action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back