Simple misunderstanding turned nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortette

Last Christmas I decided to do something nice for myself and bought myself a nice new TV from HH Gregg. They were having a promotion where if you signed up for a card, there would be no interest for a year, so, knowing my credit is quite good, I signed up for the card. The very next month I paid off 1/2 of the balance. Now, I had a lot going on at the time, and tend to be a bit scatter-brained, so I have all of my bills set up on automatic withdrawl so I don't have to worry about being delinquent on any of them. Unfortunatly, I could not do this with this card. After paying of half of the balance, I forgot about the payment the next month. I NEVER received an email stating I was past due (even though my statements were sent via email & I paid the account on-line) nor did I receive anything in the mail. AFTER the account was over 30 days past due I started receiving phone calls. For a while I did not answer the phone when they called because I did not recognize the number and they did NOT leave a voicemail. At the time I had requested information from a college, and they were calling me twice a day and I thought it was just them. When I finally got sick of seeing the number on my phone and not knowing who it was, I answered and found out (much to my alarm) that I was almost 2 months past due on my card! This is the VERY first I was notified that the account was delinquent. The collector asked if I would just like to pay the account off and have it closed so I would not have to worry about it any more, and I agreed. The collector was very specific abou the fact that he was closing my account. Fast forward to a week ago, (which is about 4 months after this started) and I was denied a new credit card because of "outstanding delinquencies". I knew that all of my bills were current, so I pulled my own credit bureau report. I was apalled to find out that HH Gregg is still showing me as delinquent. I can not get far enough into my account online to see what exactly is going on because of their page trying to force me to make payment arrangements, but the front page says that there is a balance of $203 and past due $120! After I talked to the collector, I ceased to receive my electronic statements, I have not been called by anyone, I have not been sent any emails. I only found out about this because I was denied credit!! I am getting ready to call them in the next few days to try and get this cleaned off of my credit report, but what I need to know here is what their legal obligation was to notify me. I mean, I would think that since I received my statements online and I paid online that they would have emailed me, but they didn't. And while they did call me, it was not until my account was already over 30 days past due, and they nevery once left a voicemail. And I have not heard ANYTHING from them since I "closed" my account, yet here I am with a declined credit letter.... I need to know if their improper handling of my account can give me some leverage to have them take it off of my account or not.

They will not send you a notification of late debt on line and really they do not have to call an tell you you are late. But I would think you should have received something in the mail and maybe you did and just thought it was junk mail an dtossed it. Usually any debt for a credit card will come in a plain white envelope with no company nae on it. Unfortunately alls you can do is pay the debt and have the account status put to closed on your credit report. Once it is paid it will soon stop effecting your credit, but will not be right away. They may have made an error on not sending you a bill, but they did call and you admit that you did not pay them. The reality is that it is your fault as much as theirs and alls you can do no is fix it. Try calling them and talking with them and make arrangements to pay off the debt as soon as possible so that it will stop affecting your credit.

No, I DID pay the debt. I was late, but as soon as I talked to the collector and found out I was behind, I instructed him to pay it off and close the account. My issue is the fact that the account was NOT closed and that somehow it's showing a $200 balance, and that I received NO further correspondance about this account. NO statements, NO phone calls, NO emails. I only found out about this because I was denied credit.

My guess?

You were late, which blew your 0% apr away, so the $200 is the interest on your balance from the time last calculated until you paid through the collector.

I.e. They calc interest on the 1st, collector calls you on the 15th. You pay your $1000 balance, then on the 1st, you had a balance of 1000 for the first half of the month, so it calculates interest on that balance for the first 15 days, and adds it to your account.

Call the CC company. Most likely that's what's going on. Sometimes they may waive it, sometimes not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back