signing over rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

proud_mommy

in some trouble need some much needed help and advice ok here goes back in march of 2001 my oldest sons father wanted to give up his rights so he wouldnt have to pay child support apparently he didnt know the law and relize hed still have to pay but anyhow he signed a paper that states this :
i so and so parent of above named child relinquish all rights to and custody of this child and consent to the adoption by petitioner so so with full knowledge of the leaal effect of the step parent i understand my legal rights as a prent and i understand that i do not have to sign this consent and release of my parental rights i acknowledge that is is consent is being given knowingly freely and volunarily i further acknowldge that my consent is not given under fraud or juress i understand ther is no grace period which i may revoke my consent i understand that im signing thsi consent i am permantly and forever giveing up all my parental rights to and intrest in this child i vountarly permanently relinquish all my parenta right to this child ... ok now my question is this my son has never been adopted out and its been 8 years since this was signed almost 9 and im remarried now and my husband wants to adopt my son but its not the one whos name is on the paper as the person that would like to adopt is this paper still void did he sign over all rights for that particular adoption or is this saying that he gives up rights to this child and that he maybe adopted please help me

That paper does not hold up anyways. You need to do a formal adoption through the courts and preferably have an attorney. Adoption is not a do it yourself project. The deadbeat dad would still owe back support if there is an order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back