Breaking lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

absidwell

My roommate and I are having some issues and I want to leave my apartment with out breaking my lease because it looks bad on your credit. My roommate cannot sign me off until he has someone else on the lease with him which will be in November. The person that wants to move in doesn't want to sign a lease for some reason so my roommate said he is willing to sign some kind of contract stating that as of 11/1/08 I am no longer financially responsible for our apartment. Would this document be legally binding even though we signed a lease? I'm worries his friend won't pay rent and my roommate will call me for the money and I don't want to be responsible for it if I'm not living there. What are my best options?

Have you discussed all of this with your landlord; you know, the person who actually owns the unit and technically is the only one who can agree to all of this?

Gail

I have talked to the property manager when we first started having problems to find out what my options were for getting off the lease and she told me that he could sign me off if he qualifies for the apartment by himself or we can do a roommate change.The property manager told me to talk to my roommate about the options. The only problem with the options i was given is he doesn't qualify by himself and his friend that is moving in doesn't want to sign the lease for some reason. He offered to sign something stating I wasn't financially responsible once his roommate moves in and I haven't talked to my property manager about that yet, because I wan't to know how serious the contract would be since i would still be on the lease before I waste their time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back