NY State Park Regulations - Hours of Operation Infraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grad_Student

Hi all,

I'm new to the US and New York city and I was biking home from a friend's at about 2am last night so I decided to bike through Central Park. Unbeknownst to me at the time the park closes at 1am and at a police check point I was stopped and given a summons to appear in court in violation of Sec. 103 sub a1.

I have three main concerns:
1) Should I get a lawyer to address this issue?
2) I'm an international student legally studying in the US. Will this affect my immigration status?
3) The court date I have been given is basically the worst conceivable date. The officer suggested I could appear at the court house at an earlier date to address this; is that so? Or can I make an effort to change the court date?

I'm really shocked that I wasn't just given a ticket. I mean, I was biking on a large road that happened to pass through the park; how was I to know that the park was closed and even if I was in the wrong, why go to court over it? Seems a little crazy to me.

You name yourself Grad Student. In this case, there are likely resources you can use from your college/university to help you in this manner. It sounds like a simple misunderstanding, and most Judges would understand that without significant signs and postings, what you did wasn't a blatant violation of law.

Good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back