Bipolar as Defense to Texas Sales Tax Lien

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonmiller55

My wife owned a corporation that went under a couple of years ago. The reason we went under is primarily because my bipolar disorder got out of control. Unfortunately, I was trying to assist my wife with her business and was dealing with the Texas Comptroller's Office. Unfortunately the customers stopped paying, we had invested too much in new software for the company, I was quite literaly trying to determine whether or not to kill myself, and the last month's worth of taxes did not get paid. I believe they were about $2000. The Attorney General's office noted that we had no property of value(landlord took it for unpaid rent at the office), we had no other source of income due to my rapidly advancing mental incapacity and health issues for my wife, and told me that they would "write off" the debt as too little to deal with and too small an amount to be worthy of pursuing. Around 2004 I was finally approved for social security disability. We looked at our credit report to determine if there were any liabilities we needed to take care of and found only consumer issues on our reports. Now, around 2007 we saw on our credit report that we had a sales tax lien from the state of Texas. It has grown to what I believe now is about $8000. Here are my questions...
1)This company was incorporated, so does the state of Texas have the right to come after us personally for the tax debt?
2)This company was my wife's, but I was listed as an officer, should both of us be responsible or just one of us?
3)The state of Texas was aware that I was disabled and that I was in the process of approval for SSDI, is mental illness(bipolar disorder) a legal defense as to why these taxes weren't paid?
4)Are there any other things I'm not thinking about that would assist in ridding us of this lien(short of paying with our limited income from my disability checks)?
Any advice would be of assistance. I'm tryng to get our lives back together and this tax lien is in the way.
Thanks, Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back