Cell phone collections...Account opened as a minor, should I pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janntionette

When I was 17, I opened a cell phone account (Sprint).... I was not given all the details and I ended up not paying the bill later down the line.

My mother had given me my sisters SS# (she was 16) , only because she thought it was mine. I found out a few months later, when I went to get my drivers license, that the SS# wasn't mine.

I don't understand why Sprint didn't catch that.

But, I have this collections issue on my credit and not my sisters... they have my name and her SS#.

I contacted them (9/5/08) and they asked that I send in a ID and a birth certificate. I did that and they told me they were going to close the account. They called back and changed there minds and asked that I pay 125.00 ( the amount "due" 570.00 after 2 years of late fees and cancellation etc...).

I'm in the middle of buying a home and I need this off ASAP. As soon as they close the account and fax me that letter...I can go on... Should I pay? What about the FCRA Law?

Thanks!

You can file a dispute with the credit reporting agencies. Get a copy of your credit report, which will have instructions on how to file your dispute. When you file the dispute, tell them that you were a minor, not able to enter into a legal contract.

This gives you the opportunity to by-pass the cell phone company, so they can't keep flip-flopping on you while you try to buy your house.

FYI, the cell phone companies know that minors cannot have legal contracts. The right thing to do would be to pay that low amount they gave you, but you are not legally obligated if you were a minor.

Cell Phone

I understand what your saying and thanks for the reply.

I ended up sending in a copy of my birth certificate and ID to the collections company... it was a fight, but they zeroed it out.

The only reason I didn't feel I should have to pay the amount, was b/c the bill wasn't that high. They added all these contract fees and late fees, which should have been removed.... if the contract is void.
I would have had no problem paying the amount due for the service, but at the same time the account was sold to the collections company for about 1-7 cent per the dollar. I would have even given them a refund of that amount and that way they aren't out any money.

Sprint had my information and signed me up for a 3 year contract, which I had no idea about. Of course this wasn't done in a store... it was actually a bus driver selling them, via flyer's. I was young and I've learned a lot... I'm just glad it's over and I can move on.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post!:yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back