Florida- What are my options under juvenile law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejyonkman

My 14yr old stepson is currently on home detention. He was accused by a 'friend' of being present and assisting to steal items from a house. Both my stepson and his best friend have stated to us and the detective on the case that they were asked by a third person (their buddy) to go with him to 'this guys house' to get some stuff that the guy was giving him (the buddy). They went with him to the house but waited outside because they didn't know who's house it was. After waiting out there for a while they decided to go in and see what was going on. They entered the house and when they saw that their buddy had his pockets full of stuff and noone else was around they left. Neither of them took anything that we know of and they both state that they did not take anything. Their buddy was caught with stolen goods from the house and was sent home under home detention or something of that nature and while waiting for court he went back to the house and stole some more items. He is now stating that both my stepson and the other boy took things and we believe this is in an attempt to get himself out of trouble a little bit.

Right now my stepson is on home detention and awaiting arraignment on the 18th at which time we will have to settle for a public defender as we cannot afford a lawyer. We believe that he went into the house and we also believe that he did not take anything from the house. We know he isn't perfect and that teenagers do a lot of stupid things but we honestly believe that he did not know that the boy was stealing until they entered the house. I believe they are going to try for burglery/ grand larceny (??) but I was not able to go with them to talk to the detective. The detective seems to believe what my stepson told him and this is partly because the buddy also tried to state that he was with him another day that he is being charged with and we can vouch that he was home that day due to school being cancelled because of Tropical Storm Fay.

He does not have any prior record and has never been in trouble at school or anywhere else.

What are we looking at and what are our chances of getting it knocked down to trespassing defined as unlawful entry without intent to commit a crime?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back