sold scooter buyer damaged after purchase now wants refund

Status
Not open for further replies.

gal70blue

I sold a personal mobility scooter for $150 buyer saw and tested it 2x prior to purchase. Scooter worked fine and buyer found it in acceptable condition at purchase. no receipt given buyer was told no refunds and agreed to it at time of purchase. 4 days later buyer calls to say he changed battery and melted some of the wires and now wants his money back. I told him no it was final sale plus he admitted to doing damage to scooter after purchase. he then stated he is going to take me to court. does he have any chance at a case?

Here is the thing - why wouldn't you give him a receipt after you sold that scooter? That would have been the piece of paper that could have put the issue to rest. Can he take you to court? Yes. Can he win the case? It is a 50/50. It all depends of what he tells the magistrate and what you come up with for your defense when in court. Good luck to you.

he did not want a receipt plus he called back 4 days after purchase to report that he damaged it so is he really entitled to a refund if he damaged item himself?

The magistrate is the one who will make that determination. Have you tried asking him to repair the scooter before you refund him the money? If not, ask him if he would agree to pay for the repair of the scooter or if agrees with you that you would are entitled to have the amount for the repair deducted from the refund. See how that goes. If he is reluctant, let him take you to court and tell the judge that you can take it back, but you either want the scooter repaired or have the money deducted from the refund. Hope this helps!

thank you, I never thought of that I guess I was so amazed that this guy actually admitted to damaging it that I didn't really think he had a case to begin with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back